Harmony Project KC harnesses the transformative power of music to increase access to higher education for underserved students by removing systemic barriers to achievement through academic and social support.
What We Do:
We serve 250+ talented, hard working, and bright students from loving and resilient families! Our flagship program is at the Northeast Community Center. We also host three satellite programs at Wheatley, Garfield, and Scuola Vita Nuova (SVN) Elementary Schools. Here is more information about the population we serve at Harmony Project KC:
- 25+ schools represented.
- 5-18 years old.
- 85% children of color.
- 82% qualify as low income based on free and reduced lunch rates.
- 50% of HPKC parents are English Language learners.
- 20% of program parents do not yet hold a high school diploma or equivalent.
Harmony Project KC is an affiliate of Harmony Project in LA, which:
- Received the nation’s highest honor for an arts-based youth program by the President’s Committee on the Arts & Humanities.
- Received the White House's "Bright Spots in Hispanic Education" Award.
- Holds a 95% college acceptance rate, and an average of 7 years’ participation in the program.
- Builds stronger family communication, improved self-esteem, and enhanced academic achievement. (Research performed on Harmony Project students by Dr. Nina Krauss, Northwestern University).